Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Flower Press Surprises



I recently came across my flower press in a cupboard. It's been at least 3 months since I used it last - just long enough to have forgotten what was in it. So with a certain amount of child like excitement , this is what I found inside.


Japanese Honeysuckle : Lonicera japonica

Ok,Ok I know it's a borderline weed but as is the case with many of the plants in my garden, it was already there, it's tough, I like it and it's staying! These have pressed quite well even if they are somewhat discoloured.



Native Frangipani : Hymenosporum flavum

These have kept their colour well. They're still quite bulky which may make using them in some kind of craft difficult. Let's hope they keep their perfume!



Purple Pansies :

I had planted these in a row of 6 pots I regularly re-plant with annuals. It's much too hot for pansies now and they've been replaced by Petunias for summer. I inherited a love of pansies from my Mum. It was nice to see these again after the plants themselves are long gone.





Homemade Recycled Paper :


This is a sheet of homemade paper I made with my friend Norma from ' Hooked on Hessian ' after we raided her flower press. We added some of the finer plant materials to the paper mix ( eg.Bottlebrush fibres ) then stuck the pressed flowers on afterwards.




Gift Card :

This is a card I made using some of our homemade paper featuring a frond of pressed ' Love-in-a- Mist ' foliage. Norma and I are planning another craft session soon so stay posted.

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen a flower press before! Thanks for showing it. Final products are lovely! I love pansies, too.
    Claire, thanks for your kind comment on my last post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I've got a bit more time and can write a proper note, this struck such a chord with me because when I went to Agricultural College way back when, we used such presses to dry specimens for the herbarium. I saw the top photo and had such a rush of nostalgia for days gone by, it was amazing. Thank you for the memory trip, and for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. Now I wonder what I've got in my flower press? I guess I'd better go find it and open it up. I hope I can find treasures like your's.

    ReplyDelete