Sunday, March 15, 2009

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day



This is the first time that I've participated in Carol's from May Dreams Gardens Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. It's the beginning of Autumn here and my Sedum 'Mini Joy' certainly thinks so because it has just started to show some pinkness.

Here are some Dianthus I planted around October/November last year which have flowered consistently since then. They are fairly thirsty though and I have to say that they've needed daily watering to make it through summer.

Our old faithful hibiscus that was rescued from aphids when we moved in and it's never looked back. We also have a dark pink one that isn't flowering at the moment.

Another reliable bloomer Strelitzia ( Bird of Paradise ). This one always gets a reaction and I often find that people either love it or hate it. Either way there's no denying that they're hardy and flower frequently throughout the year. As I was taking this photo a New Holland Honey eater flew in for some nectar. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to photograph it with the flower.



Feeling fairly dissatisfied with the lack of flowers in my garden I decided it was time to plant my bulbs. I spaced them out over the area before burying each one. Last year I was organised enough to dig up and store them in a calico bag in the shed. In the past I've just left them in position with fairly disappointing results. This time I've also planted them in dappled shade instead of full sun so fingers crossed! I planted Dutch Iris, Daffodils and Jonquills. While I was at it I treated my garden to an application of Seasol as a reward for surviving summer.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. What's so fascinating is seeing the flowers from all around the world. I can only dream of growing strelitzia outdoors - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love the Bird of Paradise!! I have two growing in pots indoors now, but both are so pitiful looking. I will move them outdoors in summer. Do you have any tips to growing these plants for me? Fertilizer, water requirements, etc. Sadly, mine have never bloomed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! How delightful to see autumn blooms for a March Bloom Day in the Northern H! The bulbs sitting on the soil ready to be planted are fantastic! Welcome to Bloom Day!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Pam, the only thing I could recommend is moving to Western Australia! Mine just grow without any attention from me besides cutting off dead flower heads.They're growing in part shade if that helps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thoroughly satisfied with your display! Love the bird of paradise and wish it was fall for me so I could plant more bulbs. I'm putting a note in calendar today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bird of Paradise definitely makes a statement. It wouldn't work in my garden, but it is snazzy in a more tropical place. I'm unfamiliar with the cultivar 'Mini Joy.' It sounds like a shorter, non-flopping for of 'Autumn Joy.' That Dianthus is a keeper, that's a great run of bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to Bloom Day! Today was my first time participating in it, too. I think your Bird of Paradise is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete