Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

In memory of our Mum on Mother's Day, this is a celebration of the wonderful garden that we grew up in. We had a one acre property so the photos only show small segments of it. This was her cottage garden which was constantly changing with the seasons. Here is where she grew Poppies, Marigolds, Cornflowers, Nasturtiums, Stocks, Foxgloves, Statice, Cape Gooseberries and Daisies.

While Mum was growing flowers our Dad was busy growing vegetables. There was plenty of space for a substantial crop. Here I think he's tending to a patch of Broad Beans. Our favourites were the New Potatoes, they were delicious! Our garden was full of granite boulders which came in handy for defining beds. You can also see our Mulberry Tree to the left in this photo. This was a source of both fruit and fun for us kids. Our silk worms were very well fed too!

Some sunflowers that my sister and I grew one year.

My Dad's other garden hobby was golf. Our friends couldn't quite believe that we had a miniature golf course in our backyard complete with a sand bunker. He spent many a weekend manicuring his greens and moving the holes to make them more difficult.The tree in the foreground is an Apricot Tree which was always covered in fruit during summer.
Mum mulching the front garden. Our parents installed a 'Biocycle' system which recycled our household water for use in the garden. It mainly watered the old roses in the front garden along the circular drive. We also had two beautiful Jacaranda Trees which covered the gravel in purple flowers every year.

This windmill was our very unusual garden ornament / climbing frame / fireman's pole! The bore was still functional which provided another source of water for our garden. A Morning Glory Vine made its way to the top of this and stopped it from turning a few times. A terrible weed but the purple flowers were beautiful.

Mum relaxing in the sun with a good book.

Our dog Jessie on the front veranda. This was a nice place to sit and enjoy the sun in winter. Mum always had some potted colour near the front door. These were often Impatiens, Violas or Pansies which were her favourite. You might also enjoy this story.

4 comments:

  1. Claire, thank you so much for sharing your memories with us! Now I know where from your love for gardening comes. I love the idea of using household water for garden and sometime use the kitchen water. I wish I had pictures of my Mom gardening... I remember I bought a new camera and was taking pictures just to find out later that I forgot to insert the batteries!
    Happy gardening to you and belated Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post Claire, thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire,
    What a wonderful post! I have fond memories of my mother gardening as well. I will have to search through some of her old photos to see if I can't find some pictures of her garden tucked away. I just love the photo of your mom's cottage garden. Thanks so much for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful tribute to your parents garden. It looks like it had everything. It makes also for a happy childhood. I have fond memories of my mothers garden and am lucky to say that I have instilled a love to garden in my three "girls".

    ReplyDelete