Saturday, May 2, 2009

New Zealand Natives

I have never designed a New Zealand styled garden. It seems strange when so many of their native plants grow well in our Australian climate that this style isn't more popular. So I thought I would explore some plant choices for such a garden. I have used all of these plants before but usually they are combined with Australian natives or other exotics.

Pittosporum tobira ' Miss Muffet '

Pittosporum ' Creme De Mint '

Carex testacea

Cordyline australis ' Sundance '

Gordonia axillaris

Phormium ' Sweet Mist '

Phormium ' Yellow Wave '

Metrosideros ' Dalese '

My only other consideration when putting this scheme together was colour. The main colours in the foliage are lime green, orange and yellow. I also used some plants with darker green foliage for contrast. There are many more plants ( and varieties of the ones shown ) that could be used in a New Zealand styled garden. Coprosma, Astelia, Libertia and Xeronema would also make excellent additions. The best websites I've found for New Zealand Natives are Liddle Wonder
and Lyndale Liners


2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Many New Zealanders thrive in the Bay Area. My garden embraces Coprosma, Astelia, Libertia, Corokia, Westringias, and some plants that I have read are native to both NZ and Australia, such as Dodonaea. Does this ring any bells for you? Sometimes I can't recall if I've read that a plant I'm growing is considered native to both countries. But I do know the Australian species can tolerate our usual six/seven-month dry spell. CheersA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice,Yes all of the plants you mentioned grow well here too.The only one I haven't heard of is Corokia - looks like a good hedging plant? I think you're right about Dodonaea being native to both.Westringia is an Australian native. Next time I go plant shopping I'm going to buy some Xeronema callistemon (Poor Knight's Lily)

    ReplyDelete