Monday, February 1, 2010

Full Office Makeover

Late last year I was busy renovating our office. This involved numerous trips to IKEA and much decision making and deliberating. I knew I needed three large desks with overhead cabinets but had trouble finding ones to suit the dimensions of the room. The desks that came with hutches were too small for my purposes. IKEA has a very helpful 3D office planner, I also found the general home planner useful.


It was important that the desk and overhead cabinets were the same length and colour/finish. Having no luck finding a horizontal cabinet and matching desk it occurred to me that I could use a BONDE vertical shelf unit as an overhead by turning it on its side. I recommend seeking professional advice for the overhead cabinet fixings. These were paired up with VIKA MOLIDEN desks.


We needed a lot of filing space so I chose GALANT drawer units that have a file draw. I wasn't happy that the handles for the drawer units weren't going to match the EFFEKTIV filing cabinet so I bought some additional JIGGA handles after making sure that they were going to fit the pre-drilled holes.


Two of these vases were also from IKEA and they happened to match an oval shaped one I already had. I chose DRONA fabric storage boxes although there are others I could have used that fit with BONDE shelving units.


The filing cabinet was originally going to have white draw fronts but when I unpacked them there was no mistaking that they were off-white. The only option I had was birch or beech veneer. This led me to purchase some KNUFF magazine files and FIRA three drawer chests and a RIBBA frame in the same birch colour to repeat the accent. We found our very comfortable chairs at McLernons in Osborne Park.


This is a print that I bought as a souvenir on our honeymoon at the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. Finally all of that carrying it in our hand luggage and trying to keep it flat has paid off! The colours for this makeover were heavily influenced by the notice board I had already made.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Claire, it looks good! Turquoise is one of my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wish my office looked that neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross- there is a third desk in the office that was too messy to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tranquil was the first word that came into my mind when I saw this post. Varying shades of blue really does wonders in a room. It's actually very advantageous to use this calming colour especially in office spaces. So, good job with this full makeover.

    ReplyDelete