Friday, February 5, 2010

Planting Re-visited


You may remember a post I wrote about some plants we supplied for a job in Lesmurdie. Yesterday I re-visited the garden where they were planted and I'm pleased to report that the majority of the plants are growing well.


There have been a few casualties which is to be expected when establishing a garden especially with the very hot weather we've had this summer. The reason for my visit was to determine the cause of death and suggest a suitable plant to replace them with.


The problem seems to have been caused by reticulation issues. We've opted to replace them with a variety that is currently flourishing in the position. Dianella 'Cassa Blue' should be able to cope with both drought and wet feet from time to time.


This property has amazing views of the city from the escarpment. Care had to be taken that the plants weren't going to grow tall enough to block these views. The grass in the foreground is Dianella 'Emerald Arch'


The rate of growth of many of these plants has taken my by surprise. This row of Escallonia 'Iveyi' is ready to be hedged after only three and a half months! These were in 14cm pots but they were planted quite densely which has helped.


Echeveria 'Mauna Loa': borders this planter box with Cyca revoluta beyond.


Furcraea foetida 'Mauritian Hemp': under planted with Festuca glauca and cracked pea gravel as mulch.


Chrysocephalum apiculatum 'Flambe Yellow': adds a splash of colour beside the driveway.

1 comment:

  1. I love this property! Plants look good, Claire! I love Echeveria, Dianelia and all the spiky grasses. I am sure I have a different type of Escallonia. It's evergreen, has pretty pink flowers, but its branches grow absolutely weird, I have troubles pruning it.

    ReplyDelete